Monday, March 4, 2013

Wonder Woman Vol. One Blood

Let me start of by saying that I did not get into DC Comics until the New 52. So this volume was my very first introduction to Wonder Woman. Well, I did read the Wonder Woman Issue Zero, but that doesn't really count.

The artistry should be noted first, I think. The cover to the trade is what first caught my attention. There is a timeless quality to Wonder Woman, but at the same time this cover seemed to show the current time period as well. The actual issues themselves do not disappoint either. Cliff Chiang did the concept art, cover art, and the first 4 issues. I have no complains about any of his art work. Honestly, I did not enjoy the fifth and sixth issues as much. They were illustrated by Tony Akins. Don't get me wrong I have no real complains about Akins work, those issues just didn't catch my eye as much as the earlier ones.

As for the storyline, I don't want to get into it too much. What I will say is that I thought it was a thorough introduction to the character of Wonder Woman. The addition of Greek Gods into the storyline was also a good choice. Most importantly though, I wanted to pick up Vol. Two after I finished this one.

Over all this was one of the better trades I have read recently. I don't know about DC previous to the New 52, but I am enjoying what I am reading of DC currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment